Softpedia Editor's Review for Y'z Shadow
Adds a shadow and transparent effects to Windows
Written by Elena Opris on June 26th, 2012
Y'z Shadow attempts to enhance the looks of the menus and windows inside your operating system. It achieves this by adding shadows and transparency effects to all sorts of elements.
Visual OS enhancements are not easy to accomplish. This is a challenge mostly because Windows is very restrictive when it comes to visual tweaks and the operation needs applying various patches most of the time. Although transparency and proper shadow effects have been delivered starting with Vista and 7, lesser operating systems remained untouched.
This is a huge disappointment for the huge crowd of fans that acclaim XP and as a result development lead to applications that improve its looks a bit. Such an example is Y'z Shadow, a small utility designed to attach a drop shadow to the windows of all your applications.
Y'z Shadow doesn't require installation, but make sure to extract all its contents from the archive instead of running them directly. It will still work, but you won't have access to the Settings menu.
Once you initiate the executable file, the software will automatically insert itself into the system tray. Enabling it will bring out the mentioned drop shadows to the windows.
The Settings section allows you to change the color of the shadow, as well as its length and depth (on top, left, right and bottom of the window).
Drop shadows can also be attached to menus in Windows (and also to the Start taskbar), while setting a transparency level and fade-in effect (optional). Exclusions are possible by drag-and-dropping applications (up to 32) into Y'z Shadow. In order view the results, just hit the Apply button.
Y'z Shadow can contribute to adjusting the appearance of any Windows operating system and it can be configured in such a way that the visual impact is actually noticeable.
Y'z Shadow description
Here are some key features of "Y'z Shadow":
· Attaches a drop shadow to the windows.
· Makes it possible to select one type of shadow effect in the active window and a different one in the inactive window.
· The user can choose to have transparent menus. There is also the option of selecting the degree of transparency in the menus.
· Add a drop shadow to the menus.
· Add a drop shadow to the taskbar.
· The width, depth, etc. of the drop shadows can all be set to your liking in the settings dialog.
· It works correctly with either WindowsXP styles or classic style.
· The user can specify application windows that you wish to exclude from having the drop shadow effect.
· The user can choose a setting that will automatically adjust your windows so they do not overlap or interfere with the taskbar.
· Available in different languages.
· 16 bits of screen color depth or higher