Softpedia Editor's Review for Argus Monitor
Monitor temperatures and status of system components such as CPU, GPU and hard disk drive
Written by Gabriela Vatu on March 7th, 2013
A computer’s life can be considerably lengthened if you take care of it. Argus Monitor is a light tool that runs as a background task and constantly monitors the health of the hard disk.
The app has a simple interface that should be quite easy to figure out, thanks to the intuitive layout.
As mentioned, Argus Monitor can keep track of the health status of the hard disks and lets you know if any of the values reach a critical level. Thus, if any of the S.M.A.R.T. (Self-Monitoring, Analysis and Reporting Technology) attributes goes over a vendor specified threshold, the program lets you know that the hard drive is likely to fail within 24 hours. In this way, you have plenty of time to create a backup of the files in case anything happens.
Also, the program monitors the CPU and GPU temperatures, as well as that of the hard disk. The S.M.A.R.T attributes are also being watched over, such as the raw read error rate, the spin up time, the spin retry count and airflow temperature, to name just a few. These are set in a list that comes complete with the current values, worst performance, the developer-specified threshold and its status.
The CPU’s speed is also monitored, as well as its power levels.
All in all, Argus Monitor is a nice tool that can be quite useful. Less experienced individuals shouldn’t have any troubles while installing and working with it, thanks to the intuitive layout.
Argus Monitor description
Here are some key features of "Argus Monitor":
· Monitor your hard disk drive temperature and the health status of your hard disk drive by constantly checking the critical S.M.A.R.T. attributes
· Warns you with a probability of up to 70 percent before a hard drive fails -- in time for you to save all the precious data added to your system after the last backup
· Graphical display of the temperatures of your hard disk drives
· Monitoring and graphical display of GPU temperature
· Graphical display of the CPU temperature (independently for each CPU core)
· Graphical display of core frequency (enables you to check if power management is working)
· HDD/SSD benchmark - measuring access times and transfer rates
· Display speeds of system fans
· Display and control of fan speeds of modern Nvidia and ATI/AMD graphic cards
· 30 days trial
What's New in This Release: [ read full changelog ]
· Extended support for Intel Rapid Storage RAID systems having more than one RAID set.
· Bug in fan control for certain MSI mainboards fixed.
· Support for Intel 520 and 330 series SSDs added.
· Minor bugs fixed.