Softpedia Editor's Review for ModernMix
Run Metro apps in windowed mode
Written by Mihaela Citea on March 13th, 2013
Read an in-depth analysis in our professional review for ModernMix
Unlike traditional applications, modern Windows 8 apps are opened using the entire computer display. Especially designed for those who cannot get used to this new feature, ModernMix is a simple utility that enables you to run any Metro application in a separate window on the desktop.
ModernMix consists of a configuration window, where you can choose the way that Metro applications should appear when opened from the Start Screen or the desktop. You can keep the default full screen option or activate the windowed mode. In addition to this, it can disable the animated flip when launching fullscreen apps.
Not only that modern Windows 8 apps run in the traditional windowed mode, but they behave just like any other program. The windows get the standard minimize, maximize and close buttons and can be easily resized using the mouse.
Moreover, each window has a control overlay in the top right corner, which can be used to switch between display modes (fullscreen / windowed) and you can set a hotkey to change the view even faster.
Probably the most important feature is that the apps show up in the taskbar, enabling you to pin them for easy and fast access anytime. Since Metro apps can be launched from the taskbar, you might end up not using the Start Screen at all.
ModernMix can remember the choices you make regarding window sizes and can be set to always use the last state of the Metro applications. Furthermore, the saved state can be easily modified. Thus, you can choose the display mode for each and every app you launch: fullscreen, maximized or windowed.
ModernMix offers you the possibility to choose the way you want the Metro apps to be displayed. It helps you take advantage of the desktop multi-tasking working environment, by running multiple Metro apps at the same time and switching between windows, not screens.
· 30-days trial period
· Nag screen
What's New in This Release: [ read full changelog ]
· Adds background sound support for apps which do not explicitly support it (like Netflix).
· Right click or double-click on the item in the per app section to configure.
· App settings page lists all installed Modern apps.
· New right click option to force fullscreen always
· Create shortcut to app on desktop from within the config UI now force creates the icon (as you may use it before an app has been run)
· On first-run of the app, a dialog reminds you about the top right corner overlay.
· Fix for drag to close on a fullscreen app ignoring the return to Windows 8 menu setting
· Fixed naming of some apps in the list that had yet to be run (they got truncated in error)
· Fix for Netflix playback when the windows is inactive on a secondary display
· Tweak to code to detect if the launch is from the Windows 8 menu or elsewhere (some reports it sometimes remembered the Win8 menu launch even after launching something else from a pinned item / Start8 menu)
· App setting...