Softpedia Editor's Review for Don't Panic
An application that can close and open multiple programs with the click of a button
Written by Elena Opris on June 22nd, 2012
Don't Panic is a software that you can use to close multiple programs at once, by simply pressing a button.
The interface of the application consists of a standard window that allows you to switch to panic mode (a button placed on the lower right side of the screen), as well as go to the "Options" area you configure program behavior.
So, you can change the interface language, enable Don't Panic to always run in panic mode and to automatically check for program updats on startup, as well as hide the "Don't Panic!" button in panic mode or adjust its transparency level.
On top of that, you can enable Don't Panic to run in administrator pivileges, set the process priority (e.g. idle, normal, high), as well as enable the program to terminate processes or just close them.
But Don't Panic can also delete all shortcuts from the Recent Files folder along with Internet Explorer history, cache and cookies, as well as empty the Recycle Bin. Furthermore, you can create a blacklist and enable closing or hiding particular software, as well as enable Don't Panic to run a specific program. Settings can be saved or restored to their default values.
The simple-to-use program takes up an extremely low amount of system resources, has an excellent response time and didn't freeze, crash or pop up errors during our tests. Unfortunately, there is no help file available. Otherwise, we strongly recommend Don't Panic to all users.
Don't Panic description
Here are some key features of "Don't Panic":
· Close, hide or minimize as many programs as you want using the BlackList (by executable filename or keywords present in the window title)
· Open up to 3 programs (files) at the same time
· Open files with a certain software (other then the one selected as default in Windows)
· Predefined software paths (includes paths for all Windows games!)
· Run Don't Panic! at Windows startup, block access to Windows Task Manager and mute master volume
· Clear some system folders (Recent Files, Internet Explorer History, Typed URLs & Cache, Recycle Bin) for extra privacy
· Panic Mode (complete with customizable size, position, transparency level and hotkey)
· WebUpdate (complete with news) and statistic modules
· User-friendly, multi-language UI (only English, Romanian and Turkish are installed by default)
What's New in This Release: [ read full changelog ]
· Access to WebUpdate window and version check has been disabled for the PortableApps.com version in order to avoid leaving any trail on guest OS
· Tray icon size fix
· Help file updated to reflect changes