Softpedia Editor's Review for ZSoft Uninstaller
Powerful yet easy-to-use uninstaller
Written by Olivian Puha on December 1st, 2011
Read an in-depth analysis in our professional review for ZSoft Uninstaller
At first glance, removing installed applications is an effortless task, but, if you're only relying on the Windows built-in function or the program's own uninstaller, you're in for a surprise because most utilities and games you install will create more than a simple folder in 'Program Files'. The more software you add and improperly remove, the registry and other areas of your system can become clogged with unnecessary remnants.
A specialized tool is necessary if you want to obliterate any trace of the software you no longer need. Such an application is ZSoft Uninstaller, a powerful removal utility that you can have for free. It will install in a jiffy so you can get to work in a matter of seconds.
Right off the bat you'll surely notice the simple and easy to use interface that has all the functions at hand for quick access. The installed programs are listed in alphabetical order and right-clicking on any entry will bring up the options for viewing detailed information and uninstalling it. The applications can also be hidden from the current view or simply deleted from it.
The great thing about ZSoft Uninstaller is that it uses system images. What it actually does is create a snapshot of the drive before the installation and another one after it is complete. Removing the app consists of comparing the two images and erasing or undoing any changes that occurred in-between. Please note that this tool wipes out all the modifications, so do not forget to make the the image as soon as the installation of the new software completes.
Making these snapshots involves the use of the 'Analyze' function. Clicking the dedicated button opens a wizard that will guide you through the whole process. As soon as the image is created, you can find it in the 'Analyzed Programs' tab and it will be used when you wish to get rid of that particular program.
An extra tool (and a very useful one) ZSoft Uninstaller comes with is a temp file remover. This function will help you select and scan any drive to discover temporary and obsolete data. You can exclude the Internet Explorer and Firefox caches from the search. As soon as the scan is complete, simply select and right-click the items to delete or backup them.
Pretty easy to use and with a useful addition, namely the temporary file eraser, ZSoft Uninstaller is surely a keeper because it will help keep a computer clean by completely removing all remnants of any software you install.
ZSoft Uninstaller description
Here are some key features of "ZSoft Uninstaller":
· Analyze an installation so it can be completely uninstalled (also supports reboots of the computer as the process is split into two: Before and after the installation)
· Search for leftovers after uninstalling a program
· Cleanup in the programs starting on your computer at startup
· Find and delete temporary files
· Find and delete empty folders
· Delete entries from programs that are no longer installed
· Hide Windows Updates
· Hide entries from the list that you are never going to uninstall (drivers etc.) making the list smaller and therefore easier to manage.
· Show more information than available though add/remove
· Automatically find entries from programs that are most likely already uninstalled
· Automatically find entries that are considered "crap-ware"
· Search the list of installed software
What's New in This Release: [ read full changelog ]
· New tool: Empty folder finder
· New tool: Startup Manager
· New tool: Post Uninstaller (replaces the 'I think this is the folder' thing)
· Automatic backup of installation-logs to 'LogBackups' folder
· New info in sidebar
· Traditional Chinese & Simplified Chinese translations
· Polish translation
· Swedish translation
· Updated Valencian translation
· Updated Portuguese translation
· Various fixes and additions