Softpedia Editor's Review for MSI Afterburner
MSI graphics card performance booster
Written by Mihaela Citea on October 10th, 2012
MSI Afterburner is a graphics card utility that promises to help you monitor your GPU and bring it to its maximum performance.
The application's core is based on RivaTuner, one of the top-rated video card overclocking software. It is designed to enhance your GPU's performance and supports a wide variety of MSI graphic cards, offering overclocking tools for both AMD and NVIDIA.
The main goal of the application is to overcome the original limits set by the vendors, allowing you to adjust memory clocks, voltages and fan speed. However, it is advisable to modify these settings only if you are sure of what you are doing. Otherwise, your actions might cause instability issues.
The futuristic, yet simple and organized look of the application can be changed by customizing the user-interface according to your preferences. The program automatically detects your graphics card type, the driver version and displays the information in its main window.
MSI Afterburner provides important tweaking capabilities for your video adapter. It includes the ability to adjust the core, shader and memory clock levels.
Advanced fan speed control is another tweaking tool that you can use in order to reduce the noise or adjust the cooling level. The user can also change the core voltage, as the application promises to provide triple over-voltage, without needing to spend time modifying the card.
In addition to this, you can monitor the status of your graphics card in real time. The 'Hardware Monitor' window displays a graph of the GPU and memory usage, as well as basic information regarding the core and memory clocks. Logging options are also available.
The program allows you to create customized profiles for various uses, like navigating on the Web or gaming, when the card is under more intense stress. You can access the profiles rapidly by using hotkeys.
MSI Afterburner is a simple solution to overclock your video adapter. Power control, voltage adjustment, monitoring and screen capturing are some of the features that allow you to unleash the power of your VGA card.
MSI Afterburner description
Here are some key features of "MSI Afterburner":
Based on RivaTuner core:
· Afterburner contains the mix of the most popular and frequently used RivaTuner's technologies exposed in new simple and effective user interface Unified features for both AMD and NVIDIA graphics cards. You no longer need to change your favorite graphics card utility software when migrating from NVIDIA graphics card to AMD and vice versa. Afterburner provides you almost the same functionality for hardware manufactured by both leading GPU vendors and makes migration process really easy. Just keep overclocking and monitoring your GPU like you are used to do, no need to change your preferences and search for other utility after graphics card upgrade
User extendable architecture:
· You may express your creativity and design your own skins for MSI Afterburner, develop additional applications (e.g. sidebar gadgets for Windows Vista / Windows 7) interacting with MSI Afterburner or create language packs for your native language. Show the community what can you do and share results of your work with thousands of other users
Basic overclocking and fan control features:
· Include full multi-GPU support, independent shader clock adjustment (NVIDIA GeForce 8 or newer series cards), overclocking and fan control profiles with hotkey based activation abilities
Basic screen capture features support:
· BMP, PNG and JPG formats supported
Advanced fan control:
· Most of fan control tools allow you to use either fixed manual fan speed mode or default automatic fan speed mode, where the fan speed automation is performed either by dedicated hardware chip or by display driver depending on graphics card model. In addition to these traditional fan control modes Afterburner also provides user defined software automatic fan speed mode allowing you to define your own fan speed curve. New mode combines flexibility of RivaTuner's fan speed scheduling technology with new and really easy to use graphical interface for visual fan speed curve editing
Hardware health monitoring:
· Includes popular tray icon, Logitech LCD and On-Screen Display monitoring modes and history logging in native RivaTuner hardware monitoring log file format
Automatic profiles management system:
· Allows experienced users to define their own dynamic ownclocking rules on the systems with no hardware downclocking support or program different fan control modes for 2D and 3D applications
Core, auxiliary VDDCI/PEXVDD and memory voltage adjustment support:
· Gives more freedom to hardcore overclockers.
· Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 runtime libraries
· NVIDIA GeForce 6 or newer series graphics card with NVIDIA ForceWare 96.xx or higher drivers
· AMD RADEON HD 2000 or newer series graphics card with AMD Catalyst 9.3 or higher drivers
What's New in This Release: [ read full changelog ]
· Fixed VFW configuration issue