Softpedia Editor's Review for AbiWord
A free word processor for all major operating systems
Written by Elena Opris on January 18th, 2013
Read an in-depth analysis in our professional review for AbiWord
AbiWord is a lightweight and open-source word processor. It is simple to use, ideal for beginners.
The user interface is simple and familiar; you will quickly get acquainted with a standard toolbar, format, table, and extra bar. The program is equipped with basic features found in other similar products.
You can create a template document (e.g. business letter, memo, press release, resume, two columns), import styles, revert file to last saved date, change document properties, paste unformatted text, find and replace words, and go to a page, line or bookmark.
In addition, you can insert a break, header and footer, tables, text boxes, table of contents, symbols, RDF links, mail merge fields, files, pictures or direction markers, as well as change format for fonts, paragraphs, bullets and numbering, text boxes, and create and modify styles.
Plus, you can convert a text to table (or vice versa), highlight RDFs, edit RDF triples, manage collaboration accounts, translate the program's interface into another language, use bidirectional features, shape glyphs, mirror characters, save documents in AbiWord, Microsoft Word, OpenDocument, Outlook Express Mail, Rich Text Format, Text format etc., drag and drop text, and more.
AbiWord may not have complex features which are usually found in other, more experienced word processors, and maybe its interface could use some improvements, but it consumes a lower amount of system resources, it is not cluttered with features, and it comes with an easy-to-follow online help file. This is a great tool for first-time users.
Here are some key features of "AbiWord":
· Enjoy your favorite Word Processor on the operating system you like to use - be it Windows, Linux, QNX, FreeBSD or Solaris.
· AbiWord has been designed to integrate perfectly with the operating system it runs on. It will take advantage of the functionality provided by the system, such as image loading or printing capabilities.
· What use is a Word Processor when you can't share your documents with your friends? AbiWord is able to read and write all industry standard document types, such as OpenOffice.org documents, Microsoft Word documents, WordPerfect documents, Rich Text Format documents, HTML web pages and many more.
Advanced Document Layout:
· Give your document that professional, scientific or fun-to-read look using AbiWord's advanced document layout options. Use tables, bullets, lists, images, footnotes, endnotes and styles to enhance the way your document looks.
· Since not everyone in the world speaks the same language, AbiWord comes in many different languages. AbiWord is available in most common and many not-so-common languages.
· Make sure your document contains none of those nasty spelling errors by using AbiWord's built-in spelling checker. Dictionaries exist for over 30 languages.
· AbiWord supports right-to-left, left-to-right, and mixed-mode text. This means that in addition to supporting European languages, AbiWord supports languages like Hebrew and Arabic as well.
· Do you also hate writing tens of thousands form letters by hand? With AbiWord's Mail Merge capabilities, you can let AbiWord automate that job for you. Special fields inserted into a template document can automatically be replaced with data coming from a variety of sources, such as Relational Databases, Comma Separated Text files or Tabbed Text files.
· To facilitate the use of AbiWord in a server environment, a powerful command line interface to AbiWord is available. This allows you to generate form letters, print documents or convert documents to any file format AbiWord supports - all from the command line!
Extensible Plugin Architecture:
· The main AbiWord program is very small and requires very little resources to run. This allows AbiWord to be used on systems that are not considered "State of the Art" anymore, which comes all too quickly in the IT world.
· Our plugin system was designed to give AbiWord all the functionality you might expect from a modern Word Processor. A variety of plugins can be used to extend AbiWord's functionality, ranging from Document Importers to a Thesaurus, Image Importers and a Text Summarizer.
· 486dx or better processor
· At least 16MB RAM
What's New in This Release: [ read full changelog ]
· Skip over footnotes when formatting a text span. Only format main text (bugs 5046 & 12496) (Simon Larochelle)
· Fix bug 7274: set caret position correctly after deleting a footnote (Simon Larochelle)
· Fix bug 12496: when applying style to a block, do not remove char styles. Also do not touch embedded structures and only remove span properties that were unnecessary with the old style. (Simon Larochelle)
· Fix bug 8187: Access of image dialog through top and context menus (Simon Larochelle)
· Fix warning (Simon Larochelle)
· Replace assert by function exit (Simon Larochelle)
· Fix assert firing when opening style dialog (Simon Larochelle)
· Initialize correctly a variable-size array (fix rev. 31392) (Simon Larochelle)
· Bug 13323 - Fix export for UT_strptime on Windows. (Hubert Figuière)
· Add Bamanakan language (Simon Larochelle)
· Cosmetic: Remove trailing whitespace from po perl scripts. (Ingo Brückl)
· Restrict unsafe constructs in update.pl perl script. (Ingo Brückl)