January 11th, 2013
· The 64-bit edition of Windows 8 introduces a new version of the Kernel Patch Protection (PatchGuard) component, which limits Sandboxie v3 in establishing some of the kernel hooks that it needs in order to fully supervise programs.
· To ensure a high level of sandbox isolation on Windows 8 and future versions of Windows, and to mitigate the risk that a future update to Windows 7 will include the new PatchGuard, and break compatibility with Sandboxie, version 4 introduces a change in the way Sandboxie works under the hood.
· In version 4, Sandboxie is designed to not rely on unofficial hooks into the kernel. (A few such hooks are still in use on Windows XP.) Instead, a program under the supervision of Sandboxie v4 runs with no permissions and cannot access or manipulate objects in the system outside the program's own memory. (This restricted security context can be seen by looking at a process in the sandbox using Process Explorer.)
· Sandboxie 4 on 64-bit Windows removes the Experimental Protection feature, and no longer has to suggest use of Drop Rights option.
Minimum Windows Version:
· Features in the Windows kernel which guarantee that a program cannot improve its own set of permissions are only available starting with Windows XP SP 2, with additional security features in Windows Vista.
· Sandboxie v4 officially supports Windows XP SP 3, Windows Vista with Service Pack 2, Windows 7 with Service Pack 1, and Windows 8. Other variants may or may not work at this time.
December 17th, 2012
· fixes a security problem in Sandboxie.
August 27th, 2012
· New Getting Started short tutorial appears on first use. Can be invoked manually from the Help menu.
· Sandboxie Control application now natively supports high DPI display modes.
· Fixed a couple of usability issues with the Sandboxie Start Menu when the interface language is not English.
· Fixed an issue where SBIE2218 could appear in some "Run as administrator" elevation scenarios.
· Enabled Address Space Layout Randomization in all Sandboxie components.
· Fixed an issue with opening web links or multimedia files using a forced program, when the DefaultBox sandbox has been removed.
· Fixed a problem where Sandboxie would not work correctly if Windows compatibility setting are selected for Sandboxie program shortcuts.
· The Lingering Programs mechanism will not stop programs set as a linger program, if the program in question is showing a window.
· Fixed an issue with accessing network
· Support for Windows 8 final RTM build (number 9200). Sandboxie is not compatible with earlier builds of Windows 8.
· Improved compatibility with avast! Antivirus, BitVise SSH Client, CafeAgent, EMET v3, Logitech G15 keyboard, UltraMon.
June 18th, 2012
· The changes to Sandboxie since version 3.70 focus primarily on improving compatibility with Flash version 11.3.
· Upgrade Sandboxie to fix audio loss issues and crashes when viewing Flash content in a browser running under Sandboxie.
· If you use Firefox, please also make sure to upgrade to Firefox version 13.1.
May 29th, 2012Usability improvements in Sandboxie components:
· New Set Layouts and Groups command groups sandboxes into a hierarchy for easier access in menus and lists
· Sandboxie Start Menu includes a new "All Files and Folders" sub-menu to explore all drives
· The Windows program dllhost.exe was added to the default list of Lingering Programs
· Compatibility fixes for audio in Google Chrome and Flash plugin version 11.3
· Improved compatibility with Actual Window Manager, Chameleon Window Manager, Cucusoft Net Guard, GreatNews RSS Reader, Internet Download Manager, Listary, Logitech QuickCam, Password Door, ShortKeys version 3
April 10th, 2012
· is bug fix release addresses several issues that were reported shortly after the release of version 3.66.
March 22nd, 2012This version is primarily a compatibility release which resolves a few recent issues:
· Improved compatibility with Google Chrome and Firefox plugin for Firefox version 11.
· Improved compatibility with Google Toolbar for Internet Explorer.
· Improved compatibility with SpyShelter, Kaspersky PURE
· Improved compatibility ASUS CapsHooks, UltraRecall, Wacom Tablet devices.
New write-only feature:
· Files and registry keys outside the sandbox can be hidden, similar to the closed paths feature.
· Programs in the sandbox can create new files or registry keys within the write-only locations.
Improved compatibility with Windows 7 taskbar:
· Programs in sandbox will display the sandbox name when right-clicking the task bar button.
· Windows which belong to programs in different sandboxes will not be combined into the same task bar button.
· A middle-click on the task bar button will start a copy of the program in the same sandbox.
February 6th, 2012Usability improvements in Sandboxie components:
· Sandboxie Start menu loads more quickly; programs installed into the sandbox appear in a separate group in the menu.
· Shortcut links to programs in the sandbox are created with the proper icon and description.
· Fixed "Recovery to Any Folder" to behave the same way in the Quick Recovery window and in the Files and Folders View.
· New "cut to clipboard" feature in the Quick Recovery window and in the Files and Folders View.
· New "User Accounts" feature in Sandbox Settings can restrict use of the sandbox to specific user accounts.
Improvements for programs running under the control of Sandboxie:
· Programs can re-establish a connection to a disconnected network share.
· Programs can be allowed to set up exceptions in the firewall (see Sandbox Settings > Restrictions > Hardware Access).
· Fixed a problem which caused Outlook under Sandboxie to lock up when accessing a digital certificate.
· Fixed an issue where Adobe Acrobat Reader would occasionally asked to check for updates.
Improved compatibility with other software:
· Security software: COMODO Internet Security, Dr.Web Security Space, G Data Internet Security suite, Kaspersky, Microsoft Security Essentials,
· Browser utilities: AdFender, Folder Size, Google Toolbar for Internet Explorer, Logitech Scroll App, Nitro PDF v6 and v7, Sticky Password.
· Windows XP: Fixed a conflict with update KB2633171 which caused error message SBIE2304 to appear in some systems.
November 23rd, 2011Bug Fixes:
· Sandboxie Control would crash if one of the Quick Recovery folders is a reparse point
· Sandboxie Control would not forget its window size and position in a multiple monitor setup.
· A file that matches a direct access setting could be handled incorrectly (1) if renamed to a name which no longer matches any direct access settings; or (2) if its parent folder did not exist outside the sandbox.
· Direct access exclusions to window class names would not always apply under 64-bit Windows.
· Incorrect handling of access to files in the sandbox using a file ID rather than a file name.
· Improved dropping of files into the Firefox and Google Chrome web browsers in a drag-and-drop scenario.
· On Windows Vista and Windows 7, installation of ActiveX components that involve running an EXE file were not elevated correctly.
· Programs running in the sandbox were not able to manage taskbar thumbnail buttons on Windows 7.
· Fixed an incompatibility with the Fault Tolerant Heap on Windows 7.
Improved compatibility with other software:
· Sandboxie will automatically run the Software Compatibility when new software is installed.
· Security software: Home-Guard Activity Monitor, FortKnox Firewall, F-Secure 2012
· Browsers: Scrapbook add-on, FoxNotes add-on, Windows Search for IE 8, Chrome Sync Data feature.
· Utilities: Typing Assistant, FeedDemon
· Hardware: N-Trig DuoSense tablet software, nVidia Stereoscopic 3D Driver
October 12th, 2011Usability:
· Improved keyboard navigation in Files and Folders View and related dialog boxes.
· Added settings for direct access to password and session management for Chrome and Firefox browsers.
· Removed some SBIE2102 pop-up messages regarding large Firefox data files.
· During upgrade, installer will automatically close programs running in the sandbox.
· Color border was sometimes not showing correctly for windows which do not have a standard title bar.
· Fixed a bug which could trigger a system crash (BSOD) under some uncommon conditions, on 64-bit Windows.
· Fixed a bug which could trigger a system crash during system start-up, due to a conflict with other security software, on 32-bit Windows.
· Improved compatibility with reparse points: directory junctions, mounted volumes, and Windows Vista/7 symbolic links.
· Improved compatibility with security software: avast! (Script Shield), NetNanny 6.5.
· Improved compatibility with third-party utilities: EverNote, nVidia nView, Sticky Password (for Internet Explorer 9), Volumouse, WinMount.
August 28th, 2011
· Several common dialog windows in Sandboxie Control windows can be minimized: Sandbox Settings, Delete Contents, Quick Recovery, Immediate Recovery, Messages from Sandboxie.
· Reduced flickering in the main Sandboxie Control view.
· Restored support for the Finnish and French languages.
Changes in Quick and Immediate Recovery:
· Multiple files can be selected for recovery in a Quick Recovery window.
· New button to select all files in Quick or Immediate Recovery.
· New "Yes to All" button can replace multiple files when recovering.
· Immediate Recovery can open the folder for the recovered file, or run the file directly.
· Recovery Log (in Sandboxie Control View menu) displays a log of recently recovered files.
The Messages from Sandboxie window can optionally adjust some settings:
· Turn off Drop Rights when message SBIE2219 appears.
· Permit programs to start (for message SBIE1308) or access the Internet (for message SBIE1307).
· Adjust File Migration limit when message SBIE2102 appears.
Changes in the border feature:
· The border around sandboxed windows can be set to appear only when the cursor is in the title area of the window.
· This border mode, with the border color set to yellow, is now the default setting for new sandboxes.
· The border rectangle is adjusted to wrap around the Windows Aero thick window frame.
· The border is temporarily hidden when any part of it would be obscured by another window.
· Firefox places.sqlite file is excluded from file migration limits.
· Windows Explorer thumbcache_*.db files are excluded from file migration limits.
· When running under Sandboxie, Microsoft Office Outlook 2010 correctly displays embedded preview.
· When running under Sandboxie, Microsoft Excel and PowerPoint will not create superfluous buttons on the taskbar.
· Improved compatibility with security software: avast! pro 6 SafeZone browser, BitDefender Anti-Phishing toolbar, and iolo System Mechanic.
· Improved compatibility with web proxy software: Easy Hide IP, HMA! Pro VPN, VPNTunnel Anonymous Internet.
· Improved compatibility with third-party utilities: Eraser 6, Google Japanese IME tool, RoboForm sync, Sothink Web Video Downloader Stand-alone.
June 17th, 2011Notable enhancements:
· Experimental Protection for 64-bit editions of Sandboxie.
· Program groups may reference other progarm groups, and may be used in Start/Run and Internet Access Restrictions.
· Block 16-bit programs from starting or running in the sandbox.
· Cmd.exe running under Sandboxie maintains the correct current directory even for SUBST drives or junction points.
· New Start.exe /wait option, documented in the Start Command Line page.
· "Run Sandboxed" dialog windows include an explanation for the Drop Rights checkbox.
· Desktop.ini files do not appear in Quick Recovery and Immediate Recovery pop-up windows.
· Improved the "Rename Sandbox" command, and the "Create New Sandbox" command can copy settings from an existing sandbox.
· Some issues with acclerated rendering by recent versions of browsers.
· Some issues with printing to a network printer on Windows 7.
· Some issues where the SandboxieCrypto process remains lingering in the sandbox after other programs already ended.
· Some issues with Sandboxie Control not starting at the end of installation, where User Account Controls (UAC) is active.
· A problem that prevented installation of ActiveX components when Internet Explorer was running under Sandboxie.
· A problem that caused Sandboxie to refuse to install on some 64-bit systems.
· A problem with Immediate Recovery to a path which was too long to display in full.
Improved compatibility with:
· Office 2010 Protected Mode.
· Media players: The KMPlayer, PotPlayer, Media Player Classic - Home Cinema.
· Security Software: F-Secure 2011, McAfee Total Protection, Sophos Anti-Virus, Trend Micro Browser Guard 2011, Trusteer Rapport, Vipre Antivirus, WehnTrust HIPS for 2000/XP/2003.
· Other software: Babylon, DragonSaga, File-Ex, Nitro PDF 6.
March 24th, 2011Notable enhancements:
· Closing a sandboxed Internet Explorer 8/9 will not interfere with session recovery, and will not cause Internet Explorer to offer session recovery the next time it is started.
· Programs blocked due to Start/Run Access Restrictions will not display an error message.
· Sandboxie Control will not display "unknown executable image" in the list of running programs.
· Improved support for programs in the sandbox detecting the arrival and removal of drives.
· Permit read-only access by programs in the sandbox to software-managed network shares, such as virtual machine host shares.
· Resource Access settings, which can apply settings for a specific program or group of programs, can now be used to apply settings for all programs except a specific program or group of programs.
· BlockPort setting can block a range of ports.
Improved compatibility with:
· Service Pack 1 for 64-bit Windows 7.
· Update KB2393802 for Windows XP.
· Software Restriction Policies (SRP) on Windows 7.
· Applications: Windows Live Message 2011, Internet Explorer 9.
· Utilities: Bookmark Buddy, Two Pilots Speed-Type, Proxifier, Sticky Password.
· Security Software: CA Internet Security Suite 2010, F-Secure Internet Security 2011, McAfee Guardian Firewall, McAfee Total Protection, Panda Cloud AntiVirus, PC Tools ThreatFire.
January 12th, 2011Enhancements and Revisions:
· Improvements support for installations involving Windows Side-by-Side assemblies.
· Added support for a question mark character in Sandboxie settings that is considered a single-character wildcard.
· For third-party APIs: On 64-bit systems, the 32-bit DLL (SbieDllX) has been renamed to SbieDll.
· New translations: Greek, Portuguese (Portugal), and Arabic.
· Fixed a problem with Forced Folders on 64-bit Windows.
· Fixed a problem with the Sandboxie UAC confirmation window overlapping the Windows task bar.
· Fixed a conflict with the Immunize feature of Spybot-S&D which caused some slowdowns.
Improved compatibility with:
· Adobe Reader X in Protected Mode
· Internal Flash player in recent versions of Google Chrome
· Web Browser: Comodo Dragon
· Proxies and Filters: NetNanny 6.5, ProxyCap, Super Socks5Cap
· Utilities: Active Captions, Actual Window Manager, Arum Switcher, Copernic Desktop Search, IntelliType Pro, ManyCam, RadeonPro
· Security Software: Microsoft EMET tool, Norton 360, Norton Safe Web Lite
· Virtual Machines: Running Sandboxie in a Windows system virtualized by Xen
October 18th, 2010Enhancements:
· Improvements in Sandbox Settings windows.
· Run Sandboxed action can automatically select the DefaultBox sandbox.
· Filter outgoing connections on SMB/CIFS ports through the Block Port setting.
· Windows Update KB981852 causing SBIE2304 errors.
· Drop Rights feature interfering with running programs.
· Windows Live Messenger 2011 not connecting.
· Ctrl+clicking on web links in Microsoft Word, when Internet Explorer is set as a forced program.
· Installing games into a sandboxed instance of Steam in 64-bit Windows.
· Adobe Photoshop CS5 runs under Sandboxie without having to use Window Access exclusions.
· System Restriction Policies interfering with Sandboxie on Windows 7.
· Removal/rename of DefaultBox sandbox interferes with installing applications into the sandbox.
· Windows Installer (MSI) fails to run in the sandbox on 64-bit Windows.
· Errors when running some UPX-compressed executables in the sandbox.
· Improved compatibility with: avast! Pro, AVG 2011, Bsecure CloudCare, CyberPatrol, Handy Folders, 64-bit Outpost Firewall, PretonSaver.
August 9th, 2010
· Introduces new Product Keys to replace old Registration Keys, and requires periodic online activation of Product Key. Online Product Activation is not designed to circumvent the terms of the license, those terms remain the same as ever.
July 4th, 2010
· Support for Synaptics trackpad scrolling and Logitech SetPoint mouse horizontal scrolling.
· The Run Sandboxed dialog box expands vertically to accomodate a longer list of sandboxes, and includes a new Run Outside Sandbox option to bypass Forced Programs.
· Messages SBIE1307 and SBIE1309 issued less frequently.
· Improvements to the stability, robustness and performance of Sandboxie.
· Improved support for 32-bit and 64-bit Windows Vista and Windows 7. Support for 64-bit Windows should now be on par with 32-bit Windows.
· Improved support for Microsoft products: Windows Media Player 11, Windows Office 2010, Windows Live Mail.
· Improved support for third-party security software: McAfee SiteAdvisor, avast! Antivirus, AVG Anti-Virus, Blink Internet Security (64-bit), Kasperksy Internet Security, Online Armor, Panda Cloud Antivirus.
· Improved support for third-party applications: EMClient, Internet Download Manager, JetStart, LastPass, Linkman, NVDA, ShortKeys Lite, VirtuaWin, WinAmp, Xobni Plus, Zotero
April 18th, 2010
· Fixes a problem with Windows Update KB979683, which was released on 13 April 2010, and causes Sandboxie to stop working on Windows XP and Windows 2000 computers.
February 4th, 2010
· Full support for 64-bit Windows.
· Single installation EXE contains both 32-bit and 64-bit editions of Sandboxie.
· Improved Disable Forced Programs mode.
· Hold Ctrl+Shift while invoking the right-click Run Sandboxed command on a program that is forced, to run the program outside the supervision of Sandboxie.
· When Disable Forced Programs is used to start some forced program X outside the supervision of Sandboxie, then any other forced programs started by that program X will also start outside the supervision of Sandboxie.
· Improved support for User Account Control (UAC) elevation by sandboxed programs.
· No longer requires Sandboxie Control to be running.
· Pop-up window displays information about the elevating program.
· Fixed incompatibility with Software Restriction Policies (SRP) on Windows 7.
· Windows Explorer running under Sandboxie displays current folder in title.
· Prevent Mozilla Firefox and Google Chrome browsers from updating in the sandbox.
· Message SBIE2191 will be displayed.
· Support for installing extensions into Google Chrome.
· Support for ICMP (ping) operations by sandboxed programs in Windows Vista and Windows 7.
· Improved compatibility with third-party security software: a2 Anti Malware.
· Improved compatibility with other third-party software: Macro Express, LinkStash, Bing Toolbar.
December 1st, 2009
· Improved support for Windows 7 and Windows Media Player 12.
· Support for environment variables changed within the sandbox.
· New settings page: Sandbox Settings > Restrictions > Hardware Access.
· New settings page: Sandbox Settings > Applications > Web Browser > Google Chrome.
· Improved support for installation and use of WinSxS assemblies in the sandbox.
· Improved compatibility with third-party security software: Online Armor, a2 Anti Malware, Comodo Verification Engine, Norton Internet Security, Panda Internet Security, Trusteer Rapport.
· Improved compatibility with other third-party software: Pdf995, SPAMfighter, Acer GridVista, NEO Pro, Evernote 3.5, JAWS 11, LastPass, gMote.
October 1st, 2009Translations:
· Macedonian translation contributed.
· Full support for Windows 7.
· Improved support for User Account Control (UAC) elevation: Elevation requests are handled by the Sandboxie Start.exe program. (Windows Vista/7. Elevation from a standard user account is not supported at this time.)
· Improved support for WinSxS assemblies eliminates error 14001 for sandboxed programs, and makes it possible to install a wider range of software.
· Configuration Protection: Sandboxie configuration can be locked for Administrator-only access or with a password.
· A new "Run As UAC Administrator" option appears in the Run Any Program window and the right-click Run Sandboxed sandbox selection window. (Windows Vista/7.)
· Sandbox folders are created with a Sandboxie icon.
· Tightened protection to prevent actions by malicious programs such as closing windows outside the sandbox, changing the password for the logged-on user account, changing system parameters or colors, or initiating logoff sequence.
· SandboxieCrypto service takes only a few seconds to start, rather than a few minutes. (Windows Vista/7.)
· Alleviate need for all programs in the sandbox to run as Administrator when installing new software, thus permitting software to be installed directly from the browser, for example. (Typically applies to Windows Vista/7.)
· Color border appears even when the taskbar is hidden.
· Sandboxed progams have improved handling for arrival/removal of new drive letters.
· Improved support for sandboxed programs writing files into directory junctions and volume mount points.
· Improved access to hardware devices by sandboxed programs.
· Sandboxie AutoPlay cancellation when CD/DVD drives are forced honors the Disable Forced Programs mode.
· Fixed a problem when Sandboxie is installed to a folder with non-English characters in its name.
Changed default delete sandbox command for Eraserl secure delete:
· Use -method DoD_E -resultsonerror rather than -method Gutmann -results.
· For a full list of changes, see topics and discussion in the Sandboxie Beta Version 3.39 forum.
· Improved compatibility with Kaspersky Internet Security 2010, Norton Internet Security 2010 and ZoneAlarm Security Suite 9.
· Improved interoperability of Microsoft Outlook under Sandboxie and Windows Desktop Search outside Sandboxie.
· Improved support with some download manager software.
May 28th, 2009Translations:
· Spanish translation contributed by Marton Larrosa.
· Software Compatibility tool (in Configure menu) detects software on the computer and applies necessary configuration.
· New "X" icon is displayed while deleting the contents of a sandbox.
· Improved support for Windows 7 (Release Candidate build 7100 only).
· Freeze/lock-up in web browsers due to a problem in Immediate Recovery.
· Color border option (in Sandbox Settings > Appearance) appears on secondary monitors in a multiple-monitor setup.
· Minor problem on Windows Vista when deleting files in a Windows Explorer running under Sandboxie.
· Support for keyboard navigation in Sandboxie Start Menu.
· Resolved problem with Microsoft Office products freezing/locking-up when opening documents in a Forced Folder.
· Some performance improvements due to optimized registry access.
· Error SBIE2313 Could not execute SandboxieRpcSs.exe (267) caused by blocking access to some folders through Sandbox Settings > Resource Access > File Access > Blocked Access.
· Improved compatibility with Online Armor.
· Improved compatibility with ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite Version 8.
April 14th, 2009Translations:
· Albanian translation contributed by Besmir Godole.
· Chinese (Traditional) translation contributed by tenhon.
· Czech translation contributed by Virec Jaroslav.
· Russian translation contributed by Sergey Burkun.
· New application configuration system makes it easy to activate configurations and resolve conflicts with third-party software.
· Intercept AutoPlay notifications for better protection of CD/DVD and USB drives which are protected (forced) by Sandboxie.
· Sandboxie Control does not abort if the tray icon cannot be installed.
· Border around sandboxed windows uses less CPU resources and does not appear around full screen Web video windows.
Fixes related to Windows Vista:
· Support "Run As" UAC elevation requests for sandboxed programs.
· Fixed a problem with Internet Explorer 8 when User Account Controls (UAC) is enabled.
· Fixed a problem that prevented a clean start of Windows Installer.
· Fixed a problem with starting Windows Live Messenger.
· Fixed a problem with use of some plug-and-play hardware such as webcams and joysticks.
Fixes to Quick Recovery and Immediate Recovery:
· Correctly recover files that have a long name or a long path.
· Suspend Immediate Recovery notifications until the file is no longer in use by the application that created it.
· Improved support for Immediate Recovery with Google Chrome and Microsoft Office products.
· Many more fixes under a hood for a smoother Sandboxie experience.
· Resolved conflict with eEye Blink (version 4.3.0 or later)
· Resolved conflict with Outpost Firewall during installation.
January 5th, 2009New Features:
· Translation to French, contributed by Mr Anonyme.
· DropMyRights-like feature: Sandbox Settings > Restrictions > Drop Rights
· Colored borders feature: Sandbox Settings > Appearance
· Support for JAWS and Windows-Eyes: Sandbox Settings > Applications > Accessibility
· Performance improvements for sandboxed programs.
· A forced Internet Explorer displayed an Open/Save popup window, when an Internet shortcut icon was clicked. The Open/Save window no longer appears.
· Sandboxed Windows Explorer can "paste" files that were "copied" outside the sandbox.
· Fixed a problem that prevented sandboxed applications from switching to full screen on Windows Vista.
· Fixed a problem when running Windows Live Mail sandboxed on Windows Vista.
· And many other smaller issues were resolved.
November 17th, 2008
· New translation to Italian, contributed by FSoft.
New features in Sandboxie Control:
· Start/Run Access Restrictions prevent programs from running in the sandbox unless specifically permitted.
· Internet Access settings page revised for greater ease of use.
· Program Settings revised and enhanced with additional options.
· Leader Programs mechanism stops all programs running in the sandbox, as soon as some specific program ends.
· Right-click command "Terminate Program" is more powerful now and can terminate any program running in the sandbox.
New and changed functionality in Sandboxie:
· Explorable ZIP Compressed Folders: Windows Explorer running sandboxed can copy ZIP contents to the clipboard.
· Replaceable Windows DLLs: Installation of a sandboxed program can replace system DLLs inside the sandbox.
· All versions of the .NET Framework (up to 3.5, including Silverlight) can be installed sandboxed.
· Read-only/query-only access to the Windows Management and Instrumentation (WMI / WBEM) service, for sandboxed programs that require it.
· Files created in the sandbox are owned by the "Authenticated Users" group.
· Sandboxie Start Menu starts noticably faster.
· Prevent a sandboxed program from stopping other programs using the EndTask API.
· Prevent a sandboxed program from changing system locale settings.
Fixes and enhancements related to Windows Vista:
· On Windows Vista, Internet Explorer did not always show Immediate Recovery notifications, and this has been fixed.
· On Windows Vista, Sandboxie Control does not run as Administrator when launched at the end of the Sandboxie installation.
· On Windows Vista, a sandboxed Internet Explorer need not be "Run As Administrator" in order to install ActiveX components.
· On Windows Vista, Sandboxie Start Menu can show shortcuts installed into the sandbox under the "All Users" profile.
Enhanced compatibility with third-party software:
· Norton Internet Security 2009
· Recent versions of McAfee Site Advisor
· Improved support for KeyScrambler.
· Web browsers: Google Chrome and K-Meleon.
September 2nd, 2008New features:
· Forced Folders protection extended to apply to documents as well as programs.
· Files can be dragged from a regular window into a sandboxed window.
· Prevent changes to wallpaper and Windows credentials.
· Resource Access Monitor tool.
Fixes to problems:
· Resolved problem with choppy audio on higher-end systems typically running Windows Vista.
· Improved support for network shares.
· Resolved problem with user account containing non-English letters.
July 3rd, 2008
· Translation to Finnish, contributed by pokpok
· Translation to German, contributed by Brummelchen
· Translation to Portuguese (Brasil), contributed by anonymous
· Translation to Turkish, contributed by Volkan Gezer
· SBIE1116 errors on Windows XP which prevented Sandboxie from starting.
· Sandboxed Outlook using incorrect account password.
· Sandboxed programs and Sandboxie Control immediately recognize new drive letters that appear (for example as a result of mounting a USB drive).
· Added default exclusion for the Firefox database of phishing sites, urlclassifier*.sqlite files, to improve start-up time of sandboxed Firefox, and reduce the time needed to recreate this database when the sandbox is deleted.
· Real paths are displayed instead of the %placeholder% notation.
· Hiding SBIE messages through Sandboxie Control hides the message only for the detail specified in the message.
· Desktop icons do not flicker when Sandboxie Control window is visible.
· For Windows Vista, added more requests for UAC elevation where necessary.
· Improved support for network shares exposed by Windows computers (including Quick and Immediate Recovery, and Direct and Full Access)
· There remain some difficulties in accessing network shares exposed by some NAS devices
· Full support for programs installing and using WinSxS assemblies on both Windows XP and Windows Vista
· Default Copy Limit Kb increased to 48MB from 32MB.
· Fewer temporary files are kept in the sandbox.
· Fixed PATH environment variable in sandboxed programs.
· Partially resolved conflict with Rising Antivirus 2008.
April 29th, 2008
· Network shares are accessible even if not mapped to a drive letter.
· Fewer temporary files are kept in the sandbox.
· Sandboxed programs cannot change the system date/time.
· Translation to Japanese, contributed by v2y
· Translation to Polish, contributed by Barnaba.
· Resolved conflicts with third-party software Avira Anti-Virus.
March 6th, 2008
· Improved compatibility with Windows Vista Service Pack 1.
· Support for blocking Internet access to more than one sandboxed program at a time.
· Support for the new bookmarks system introduced in Firefox 3.
· Removed domain restrictions: Sandboxie can again be used in a domain network without additional license keys.
· Some performance improvements and security enhancements.
· Translation to Korean, contributed by doa.
· Resolved conflicts with third-party software: AVG 8, Ad Muncher, Novell NetIdentity, Trend Micro Internet Security 2008.
January 15th, 2008
· Improved support for sandboxed program installations, in particular for online installers such as Windows Live and the Google Pack.
· Improved support for Windows 2000.
· Improved support for sandboxing 16-bit DOS programs.
· Resolved conflicts with several third-party security applications.
· Sandboxie no longer recreates shortcut icons and associations every time it is started.
· Support for internationalization in Immediate Recovery
December 7th, 2007
· Relaxed domain licensing restrictions to allow unrestricted use on portable computers. (Initially available in version 3.20.01)
· Translation to Simplified Chinese
· Online multiplayer games running in a sandbox can connect to PunkBuster-enabled game servers.
· Improved support for FAT32 volumes on Windows 2000. This functionality was last available in Sandboxie 2.64, and is now restored.
· Proper sandboxing for the installation and use of side-by-side (SXS) DLLs allows complex products to be installed entirely into the sandbox.
· In Windows Vista systems where User Account Controls is enabled, Sandboxie can start programs as Administrator.
· Support for Windows Live Mail.
October 20th, 2007
· This version resolves a couple of very important compatibility problems with Windows Vista. It is highly encouraged that users of Windows Vista upgrade to this version as soon as possible.
August 27th, 2007
· Most of the many changes in version 3.01 are fixes to problems discovered with the previous version 3.00.
· Fixes to increase stability and robustness of Sandboxie.
· Fixes to enable more programs to run sandboxed.
· Numerous fixes for more compatibility with third-party software.
· Corrected handling of some parameters in Sandboxie.ini file, and of the configuration file as a whole.
July 11th, 2007
· Sandboxed Windows Explorer
· In Sandboxie Control: Run Sandboxed -> Windows Explorer
· Files cut (or copied) in a sandboxed Windows Explorer window, can be pasted into any unsandboxed application
· The SandboxieExplorer replacement for Windows Explorer has been discontinued
· Sandboxed Windows Installer
· Starts and stops automatically as needed
· Run Sandboxed -> Windows Installer has been discontinued
· Can install packages from network shares
· Sandboxed Installation of Win32 Services
· Happens transparently and automatically as part of sandboxed installation, if needed
· Note, this does not refer to drivers
· Stronger protection of window-to-window communications
· Sandboxed applications can't destroy windows of an application outside the sandbox
· Sandboxed applications can't communicate with windows outside the sandbox
· Can be overriden with OpenWinClass?
· Sandboxed applications can't send fake keyboard input to windows outside the sandbox
· Can be overriden with BlockFakeInput
· Sandboxing of Win32 Hooks
· System-global hooks are converted into application-level hooks, and directed to sandboxed applications only
· Can be overridden with BlockWinHooks
· Earlier versions of Sandboxie allow a sandboxed program to install a global hook DLL, if the hook DLL file is located outside the sandbox
· Support for read-only files and registry keys
· See ReadFilePath? and ReadKeyPath?
· Can be used by administrators to make sure sandboxed applications can't bypass system policy by modifying the sandboxed copy of the Policies registry key
· Sandboxie no longer needs a system restarts when upgrading or removing the program
· Note that upgrading from an earlier version, such as 2.86, will still require a restart
· Improved support for Windows Vista
· Smaller changes
· No error message if OpenFilePath et al specify a drive letter that isn't available (Useful when used with portable hard drives that may not always be available)
· Support for more devices inside the sandbox, specifically, webcams
· Sandbox name can be displayed in title bar. See BoxNameTitle
· Reduced chance for SBIE1406 errors
April 9th, 2007
· This release includes some important bug fixes over the last version 2.84.
· Foremost among these is a problem that would cause Sandboxie to crash the machine, in some rare cases.
· There are also compatibility fixes that make Sandboxie work better with some third-party tools.
March 30th, 2007
· This release improves the performance of Sandboxie over the last version 2.82.
· Version 2.82 resolved a number of problems discovered in version 2.80.
March 27th, 2007
· This release resolves a number of problems discovered with version 2.80.
March 20th, 2007
· In the past six months, large parts of Sandboxie have been re-written to achieve the following goals.
· More reliability and less chance for a system crash due to a malfunction in Sandboxie
· Reduce conflict with third-party software
· Better support for program portability (see PortableSandbox)
· Introduce support for Windows Vista (32-bit)
· Revive support for 64-bit Windows platforms (but not Vista x64; see WindowsVista64)
· Stronger security for sandboxed programs
· This version also improves somewhat on the usability of Sandboxie.
October 16th, 2006
· New HideMessage configuration setting
· Fixed: On some systems, the Sandboxie installation program could lock-up indefinately as soon as it started working
· Fixed: Sandboxed programs running under an Administrator account were able to add shared folders (and use that to circumvent Sandboxie), and manipulate user accounts in the system
· Fixed: Clicking Internet links in some non-sandboxed programs (including the Windows Explorer) could lock-up for several seconds, if Internet Explorer was set as a ForceProcess
· Fixed: Delete Sandbox in Sandboxie version 2.62 ignored the DeleteCommand setting that was introduced in version 2.60
· Fixed: Delete Sandbox (actually, the program actually doing the deletion) would fail for sandboxed files that have names of DOS device names
August 4th, 2006
· Support for multiple sandboxes.
· Support for Internet Explorer version 7.
New Sandboxie Explorer program - similar to Windows Explorer, but sandboxed:
· Files can be copied to the clipboard in Sandboxie Explorer, and pasted to any non-sandboxed folder in Windows Explorer.
· Can also be pasted to Sandboxie Explorer running in another sandbox.
· "Run Any Program" sandboxed will start Sandboxie Explorer if given a folder name.
· Sandboxed programs show two [#] indicators for stronger emphasis.
· Clicking on Web links in a non-sandboxed programs will correctly send the link to a sandboxed browser.
· This is most useful for registered users using forced browsers.
· Protection against sandboxed programs trying to record or playback keyboard input.
· Note, program executable file must reside inside the sandbox, to be denied access to keyboard recording.
· SandboxieControl can be configured to not start automatically.
· In Options menu, see Run Sandboxie Control when Sandboxed Program Runs
· Support for easy configuration of Sandboxie with Microsoft Office Outlook and Mozilla Thunderbird, in addition Microsoft Outlook Express.
· Improved audio support inside the sandbox.
· Audio quality improved.
· Can play MIDI files.
· New mechanism to start Sandbox core component (kernel driver).
· If starting the kernel driver locks or crashes your system, the driver will not be started automatically following a system restart.
· Makes it easy to uninstall Sandboxie if it causes problems.
· Technical change: Sandboxing-support logic moved from SandboxieControl to a new Sandboxie Service.
· Should fix 'access denied' or 'insufficient privilege' errors in some cases.