Softpedia Editor's Review for Sharp World Clock
Desktop world clock with world map and unlimited number of clocks.
Written by Bogdan Popa on March 9th, 2012
Sharp World Clock is an advanced desktop clock that shows the time for an unlimited number of locations around the world, along with other handy information about the selected cities.
Although it's by definition a world clock, the application does even more than that, with the desktop clocks showing the current time and flags of the configured locations. What's more important though is what's hiding under the settings screen.
As we said, you can add as many cities as you want and doing this is impressively easy. Besides the fact that you can navigate to your very own locations by choosing the continent, country, city and state, you're also allowed to quickly search for a city by writing down its name or by entering its coordinates.
At the same time, you're provided with a bunch of details, such as sun and moon phases, along with an interactive map to easily pick any desired location.
Sharp World Clock also comprises a feed reader and a sticky note utility, as well as an alarm tool that can be triggered hourly, weekly, monthly and annually.
While it looks good and comes with a great amount of customization options, Sharp World Clock seems to be a bit slow on Windows 7, although we've experienced a similar behavior on Windows Vista and XP.
All in all, Sharp World Clock is the kind of tool that does what it says, but it still needs a few enhancements to work flawlessly. The amount of features packed into the app is impressive whatsoever, so besides a world clock you also find a weather utility, a meeting scheduler, an alarm tool and a sticky notes app.
Sharp World Clock description
Here are some key features of "Sharp World Clock":
· Any number of resizable clocks you need, in a line (horizontal / vertical) or grid arrangement or single
· Fully transparent background with no surrounding rectangle (adjustable transparency)
· Undock Clocks from the main window and arrange them anywhere; redock them if you need to
· Fully customizable, huge city database with every Time Zone and every Country in the world, search function included
· Show the time on resizable analog and/or digital clocks
· Choose from a variety of Date / Time Formatters or create your own time format in your own language or in any language; use 12 hour (am/pm) mode or 24 hour (military) mode
· Select any Color (solid or gradient) or Background Image (stretched or tiled) you like for the clock faces; you can change the provided presets or create your own from scratch
· Choose different Fonts and Font Sizes for city labels, digital clock and the numbers on the analog clock faces
· Select from 9 different hour / minute hands and 9 different second hands for the analog clocks
· Realistic, soft shadows for the clock faces, the clock hands and the labels (Windows Vista / Windows 7 only)
· Integrated World Map with time zones, earth shadow and the sun's position plus zoom view with Country Borders
· Realistically sounding Chimes (sound signals) on the hour and optionally every quarter (church bell / grandfather's clock style)
· Accurate Sunrise, Sunset and Moon Phase calculation (no internet connection required), even for the polar zones!
· Integrated Alarm Center with unlimited alarms (local time zone or any other time zone (once, hourly, weekly, monthly, annualy, periodic timers plus count-down timers), silent or with sound in wav, mp3, wma or mid format; even spoken messages!
· Sticky Notes with configurable sizes, colors, fonts and font sizes - always just a click away
· Always up-to-date Daylight Saving Time database, updated with Windows updates (you do not have to update the program ever to stay up-to-date!)
· Global, configurable Hotkeys to hide and show the program window, to power off your monitor(s) during work breaks and to eject your disk drive with a key combination
· Display the local time offset and a "daylight saving" indicator (*) for each city in the upper left corner of the clock faces and an AM/PM indicator in the right corner
· Check for precise atomic time with a list of NIST servers on the internet and set the system clock accordingly
· Speaking Time on the hour, on the quarter, every 5 minutes or even every minute
· International Country Flags of all countries on top of the clock faces (optional)
· Optionally "gray out" clocks, which are outside of the Out of Office time span; this time span can be set for each clock individually
· Unmovable mode and Click through mode, to use the program as a desktop background
· Temporarily adjust the time of all clocks within a +/- 12 hours time span (5 minute grid) with a trackbar, so you can instantly and intuitively see the time in other cities for any selected time!
· Unique Artifical Sky feature (graphical representation of the day/night sky) for every clock, showing the position of the sun on the horizon (switchable for northern or southern hemisphere)
· Add new cities, edit existing cities or delete cities; add a web link and a text note for every city
· Auto-sort clocks by time zone or by city name; Optionally change the clock order by drag & drop within a list view
· Easy-to-use RSS/Atom Feed Reader with search function: Keeps you in touch with your favourite News Feeds (editable collection of news sites included)
· System Tray (Tray Icon) mode and variable Always On Top option
· Time Zone Converter - convert from one time zone to another easily, for any given date and time
· Meeting Scheduler - arrange telephone conferences easily and intuitively across several time zones
· Weather Report for the current day and the next four days, for every included city - with animated weather icons
· Dialing codes for phone conferences, ISO codes
· Export / Import function to save/backup and transfer all your settings and restore them again later
· Ready for Multi-Monitor-Environments and Windows 7 / Vista (32 bit and 64 bit)
· Easy and intuitively to use and to configure: you'll probably never need the help files.
· Excellent stablilty and accuracy. No internet connection required during normal use
· .Net Framework 4.0
· 15 days trial
What's New in This Release: [ read full changelog ]
· Fixed the "virtual locations" (time zones) in the city selector
· Alarm messages can now have line breaks
· Corrected time zone for Puerto Ayora, Ecuador
· Removed some unreliable time servers from the atomic clock synch function
· Added confirmation dialog, when a settings file is imported
| ||Softpedia guarantees that Sharp World Clock 5.86 is 100% CLEAN, which means it does not contain any form of malware, including spyware, viruses, trojans and backdoors. [read more >] |